Patient Service Representative (Remote)
Location: Remote, US
Post Date: 5/6/2023
The Patient Services Rep will be responsible for handling inbound and outbound communications for BMC's Primary Care Practice. The Patient Services Rep will handle patient inquiries, scheduling/rescheduling appointments, following-up with patients resolving patient questions/concerns regarding medication reconciliation and refills, and insurance verification and authorization management. They will document and relay patient information to the Practices as required by the Practice's Guidelines.
This position is permanently remote. Qualified candidates must provide their own stable internet connection and a quiet and secure space to work from home.
Position: Patient Service Representative (Remote)
Department: Ambulatory Call Center
Schedule: Full Time
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- The Patient Services Representative communicates with patients and staff using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, online chats, emails, faxes or mail.
- Answers and resolves patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Utilizes established Practice guidelines to ensure patient issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call to the appropriate person at the Practice for additional consultation.
- Uses a computerized scheduling system to schedule/reschedule appointments
- Provides accurate and detailed information and updates patient records using Epic
- Provides detailed and clear confirmation to the patient detailing where and when the appointment is, providing directions as needed, providing applicable and language specific home instructions as well as instructions for any required labs or imaging.
- Prepares patients for telemedicine visits by providing clear instructions for the use of phone and video in the place of in-person appointments
- Identifies opportunities to improve the work processes and environment, and changes in Practice protocols; remains current on new developments in health care.
- Applies critical thinking skills to address any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient
- Attends scheduled training sessions regarding phone support, customer service, systems upgrades, newly acquired clinical systems, or other relevant training sessions, as directed by manager.
- Attends scheduled training sessions to learn to support additional ambulatory practices as directed by manager.
- Assists in the training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of a manager and/or supervisor.
- Participates in staff meetings/is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
- A minimum of a High School diploma/GED is required
- Training as a Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, or other relevant healthcare background, training and/or experience that will be provide the ability to understand and be fluent in medical terminology is also required.
- Experience in the medical field or as a call center or customer service agent is preferred.
- Experience should be equivalent to one of the following:
- Bachelor's degree (related experience would be preferred but not required).
- Associate degree, Medical Assistant certificate or equivalent training plus at least 1 year related work experience or
- High School diploma/GED plus at least 2 years medical office or call center work experience required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to explain complicated healthcare issues to patients with empathy and concern
- Ability to empathize with and coach the patient in navigating the healthcare system
- Effective interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to work with a diverse group of professionals and personalities in a team environment
- Ability to handle challenging patient interactions and to remain resilient during times of high call volume
- Ability to work autonomously without the need for constant supervision
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to communicate effectively with patients over the phone and in email and other communications
- Must be comfortable using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, online chats, emails, faxes or mail.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Internet Explorer, MS Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Ability to document work in a professional and efficient manner
- Must be punctual and present for scheduled shifts
Req id: 28285 Apply Back to Top
+ READ FULL JOB DESCRIPTION