Position: Patient Access Representative
Department: Roslindale Med Ctr
Schedule: Per Diem
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Patient Access Representative will be responsible for handling inbound and outbound communications for Emergency/non-emergency registration.
The Patient Access Rep will handle patient inquiries, following up with patients resolving patient questions/concerns regarding insurance verification and authorization management. Conduct registration duties in a very fast-paced, high acuity Community Health Center.
The Health Center utilizes a team approach for managing patient care. Shared responsibilities leverage each team member's experience and training and contribute to a patient-centered model that optimizes patient outcomes.
The Patient Access Representative will work as part of the PCMH team.
- Accurately schedule patients with their medical team.
- Follow-up with patients that leave messages for an appointment with their medical team.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
The Patient Access Representative is intended to meet the demands of a high acuity community health center and supporting the major workflows to meet GRMDC standards of care.
- Registers patients in a prompt, efficient and courteous manner. Greets all patients and identifies self.
- Identifies patient appropriately at registration.
- Obtains signatures on all necessary insurance forms, Consents, Medicare Rights, and Health Care Proxy, etc.
- The Patient Access Representative communicates with patients and staff using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, emails, faxes, or mail.
- Answers and resolves patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic, and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Utilizes established department guidelines to ensure patients issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call to the appropriate person in the department for additional consultation.
- Collect copays or deductibles as required.
- Provides accurate and detailed information and updates patients' electronic medical records, OCHIN.
- Demonstrates highly developed interpersonal skills in order to relate to patients of all ages, staff members, physicians, and visitors, negotiate effective working relationships, and develop positive resolutions to conflict. Maintains a strong customer service orientation.
- Ensures strong organizational skills in order to manage multiple tasks simultaneously combined with the ability to effectively prioritize
- Ensures the ability to be discrete and protect the integrity of confidential information
- Identifies opportunities to improve the work processes and environment, and changes in Practice protocols; remains current on new developments in health care.
- Escalates appropriately any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient
- Attends scheduled training sessions for phone support, customer service, systems upgrades, newly acquired clinical systems, or other relevant training sessions, as directed by the Operations Manager.
- Assists in the training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of the Operations Manager.
- Participates in staff meetings/ is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
- Adapts to changes in the departmental needs including but not limited to: offering assistance to other team members, adjusting assignments, etc.
- Conforms GRMDC standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights and HIPAA and privacy rules, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes GRMDC behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department and the hospital's mission and goals.
- Follows established GRMDC infection control and safety procedures.
- Other duties as needed.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
High School Diploma/GED
- 0-2 year of registration related experience OR a minimum of three years customer service experience
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Sound judgment and critical thinking
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a very busy environment
- Strong organization and follow-through skills
- Basic computer literacy required
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Must be flexible and able to function within a team
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful circumstances
- Basic computer skills and/or facility to learn computer skills required for MS Outlook, Epic
Req id: 20895 Apply Back to Top
+ READ FULL JOB DESCRIPTION