Position: Child Life Specialist,
Department: Pediatric E mergency Department
Schedule: 30 Hours, Day / Evening / Weekends
The Child Life Specialist ensures that comprehensive services are provided to minimize the negative impact of trauma, illness, and hospitalization by addressing the emotional, cognitive, and developmental needs of patients and families throughout the healthcare experience.
- Assists patients and families in coping with illness and hospitalization.
- Comfort with diversity, an array of illnesses and diagnoses as well as cultures.
- Comfort with all developmental ages ranging from infancy through young adult.
- Provides developmentally appropriate preparation and education to patients and families regarding their healthcare experiences.
- Documents and maintains updated patient information about services provided.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to support a family-centered care approach to services.
- Provides individualized therapeutic interventions to assist with the support of emotional, cognitive, and developmental needs.
- Normalizes environment to reduce the impact of healthcare experiences on development and coping.
- Provides legacy and bereavement support for patients and families encountering grief as needed.
- Provides program development for the assigned clinical area.
- Maintains an appropriate, safe and supportive environment for children and families in the patient care setting.
- Participates in meetings included but not limited to; patient care rounding, unit meetings, and child life staff meeting.
- Works alongside manager and team about donations, budget for resources, and supply needs.
- Participates in volunteer and student training, support, and supervision.
- Adheres to infection control policy set forth by the institution.
- A Baccalaureate degree in child life or closely related field with 1-2 years of experience is required.
- Masters preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Completion of child life internship (600 hours) under the direct supervision of a certified child life specialist required.
- Certification as a child life specialist is required within 6 months of hire.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Preferred strong knowledge of hospital practices, procedures, and medical terminology.
- Strong interpersonal skill set with the ability to be flexible.
- Ability to prioritize, take initiative, and be self-motivated.
Req id: 20428 Apply Back to Top
+ READ FULL JOB DESCRIPTION