Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Physician Practice Coder
Department: Coding & Education
Schedule: Full Time, Remote
Conducts CPT and ICD-10 coding reviews by detailed examination of each line item in the physician medical record and charge session. Performs chart audits to ensure correct coding and charge capture have been applied appropriately. Works closely with key revenue cycle stakeholders to understand reasons for denials, root cause analysis, and feedback to providers.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Reviews patient medical records and abstracts medical data that identifies all diagnoses and procedures. Codes diagnoses, procedures, and appropriate modifiers from the medical record documentation using ICD-10-CM, CPT4/HCPCS classification systems. Refers to a computerized encoding system, written coding aids and other reference materials to ensure accurate coding for billing.
- Sequences diagnoses, procedures and complications by following ICD-10-CM, CPT-4, and the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS); adheres to the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, Coding Clinic guidelines and other regulatory guidelines as appropriate. Consults with the CDCI team to request appropriate physician or appropriate medical staff to clarify medical record information.
- Maintains productivity standards set forth in Departmental Policies and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge of coding and professional skills, including maintaining yearly coding credentials through attendance at in-service programs, conferences, workshops, review of current literature and other educational programs.
- Utilizes hospital's cultural values as the basis for decision making and to facilitate the hospital's goals and mission.
- Follows established Hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Review and respond to coding questions.
- Ensure billed service is being accurately coded.
- Perform random chart audits.
- Provide continual coding updates.
- Research coding issues that arise.
- Codes diagnoses and procedures from the medical record using ICD-10-CM and CPT-4/HCPCS classification systems.
- Sequences diagnoses, procedures and complications by following ICD-10-CM, Medicare, Medicaid, and other fiscal intermediary guidelines.
- Reviews charts for documentation and signature.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
Associates Degree (or direct work experience equivalent to at least 2 years)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
CPC - Certified Professional Coder
CPC-A - Certified Professional Coder Apprentice
2-5 years experience required in a multi-specialty physician coding environment to include coding, compliance, and billing processes.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Work requires in-depth knowledge of medical terminology, ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 Work also requires basic concepts of human anatomy, physiology and pathology.
- Strong knowledge of health records, computerized billing and charging systems, Microsoft applications, data integrity, and processing techniques required.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to multi-task, prioritize essential tasks, follow-through and meet timelines.
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to solve problems appropriately using job knowledge and current policies/procedures.
- Ability to work cooperatively with members of the healthcare delivery team and staff, ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule and to respond quickly to urgent requests.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal/health sensitive information and ensure compliance of HIPAA rules and regulations.
Req id: 18964 Apply Back to Top
+ READ FULL JOB DESCRIPTION