Position: Gastroenterology Technician
Schedule: 40 Hours, Day: Shift of: 9:00am to 5:30 pm (Monday to Friday)
Under the supervision a Registered Nurse, performs various duties which include assisting with endoscopic procedures, handling specimens, cleaning and maintenance of equipment, assisting with patient transport, maintaining supply par levels, as well as various related tasks as needed.
Assists the RN and physician during the procedure he/she must maintain and be able to:
- Have working knowledge of scopes, maintenance, and care;
- Assist during endoscopy procedures. Procedures include but are not limited to EGD, colonoscopy, polypectomy, biopsies, PEG placement, EUS, and ERCP;
- Handles and labels specimens correctly and according to policy, transports specimens to appropriate location;
- Assists in transport of patients throughout hospital;
- Communicates patient information to the Registered Nurse (RN).
- Performs and documents basic nursing assistant duties included but not limited to vital signs, abdominal girths, measurement of urine output, etc., and applies bedside cardiac monitoring as directed by RN.
- Discontinues intravenous devices and telemetry leads as instructed by RN.
- Prepares room, anticipates and checks all equipment needs prior to procedure.
- Cleans endoscopy procedure rooms after use, cleans and make beds in recovery room after patient discharge, empties linen bags as needed, assures that are rooms are properly stocked and prepares room for next procedure in a timely fashion.
- Operates/handles equipment properly during endoscopic procedures.
- Carry out medical and surgical aseptic techniques and universal precautions.
- Maintain logs needed in the cleaning area for chemicals and equipment use; maintains current documentation standards and policies and completes them during each workday.
- Assist in the positioning of the patient.
- Appropriately reports changes in the patient condition to RN or physician.
- Restocks and maintains the par levels and need for supplies by tracking and reporting to the supervisor or manager.
- Cleans and properly reprocesses endoscopes according to infection control and BMC guidelines.
- Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers and self.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital's cultural beliefs as the basis for decision making and to support the hospital's mission and goals.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Perform other jobs as assigned.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED and completion of an accredited medical assistant course and one year experience, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- BLS Certification required.
- 1 to 3 years of related experience and/or training Knowledge of medical terminology required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Endoscopy experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various GI/special procedures preferred; demonstrated skills and willingness to assist in procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to read and communicate in English language.
- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks and effectively work in a team environment, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Requires a sympathetic attitude and ability to maintain good rapport with patients, families, physicians, and other medical center personnel. Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to enter and access data/information.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal/health sensitive information.
- Must have the physical ability to push, transfer, and pull heavy loads (e.g. independently transport average-sized patient via wheelchair and stretcher, etc.) throughout assigned shift.
- Physical ability to meet core job requirements in accordance with practice setting and demands for the patient populations regularly served.
Req id: 18402 Apply