Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Clinical Supervisor Breast Imaging
Schedule: Full Time, 40 Hours, Days
Under the general supervision of the Breast Imaging Operations Manager, the Breast Imaging Supervisor provides technical, operational and administrative leadership to the department through interactions and/or coordination with Breast Imaging staff, Breast Clinic Staff and others as necessary. Primary duty is to supervise all aspects of the day-to-day operations. Assist in improving and implementing workflows, policies and procedures in conjunction with the Breast Imaging Operations Manager, and Section Chief of Breast Imaging.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Responsible for monitoring and for the maintenance of daily activities relating to the technical and operational aspects of the department, ensuring a high quality, efficient, customer-focused and properly functioning Breast Imaging Department
- Leads employees in all Breast Imaging modalities for assigned shifts. Ensures that supervised employees of all modalities are performing duties and following policies and procedures as necessary
- Assists with interviews and recommends candidates for hiring
- Responsible for day to day staffing and allocation of technologists and other staff to departmental areas as necessary and appropriate for patient care, budget, staffing and department and hospital needs
- Responsible for monitoring and changing the breast imaging workflow as needed to ensure operational efficiency and staff productivity. Schedules and assigns staff to designated areas as required.
- Responsible for the department patient schedule and making modifications to ensure operational efficiency and staff productivity
- Assists in preparing for monthly staff meetings
- Assists with monitoring performance and compliance with departmental procedures and policies
- Adheres to safety standards set forth by Radiology department, BMC and regulatory agencies
- Works closely with Operations Manager to improve workflow, staffing, patient schedule, patient experience, department budgets, technologist training, and initiatives.
- Works cooperatively with members of the healthcare delivery team and staff to ensure efficient and effective care provided
- Performs other Mammographic Technologist tasks to include cross training and covering other departments as required and as determined necessary for operational effectiveness, patient care and department needs. Provides floor coverage as required in the Breast Imaging Department.
- Performs all types of procedures required as put forth either through department policy and procedures or work demands of the Radiology Administrative Director.
- Provides service and care to patients of all ages. Notifies personnel as necessary when patients not regularly served (immobilized patients, men, etc) are present and seeks assistance from individuals with the knowledge of the specialized needs of such patients.
- Prepares patient for exams as required and insures patient comfort and modesty at all times.
- Sets up equipment and uses proper technique and exposure factors as necessary and required.
- Notifies Operations Manager if there is a problem with Breast Imaging equipment and assists with requesting service if needed
- Follows all radiation safety procedures to ensure patient is not compromised as it relates to radiation safety. Understands all radiation safety issues through annual compliance with radiation safety briefing and or seminars.
- Completes procedures in a timely fashion while providing quality mammography images for Radiology and outside departments. Makes quality improvements to mammographic images as required and as necessary.
- Monitors patient conditions. If/when conditions warrant that assistance may be required, takes actions to facilitate the best course of action to include: nursing involvement, other assistance, further monitoring and/or other patient focused solutions.
- Works with the Operations Manager and RIS Administrator as necessary to ensure the follow-up studies are completed and dictated in a timely manner, proper billing and supply codes are entered in the RIS, guidelines for charging are followed and communicated to staff, PACS database is clean and accurate and RIS training for new staff.
- Ensures that all required documentation is properly performed to include but not limited to any/all of the following: proper filling out of requisitions; proper procedures completion related to all procedures performed; proper recording of any required hospital/department and or insurance of managed care requirements for proper recording and or billing of Breast Imaging Procedures; ensures that staff properly enters ICD-10 codes; and ensures that staff properly enters all patient demographics.
- Responsible for training mammography and ultrasound techs on how to resolve cases
- Handles patient complaints, performs service recovery and ensures patient satisfaction at all times.
- Handles urgent add on requests for services professionally and appropriately at all times.
- Keeps staff discussions around patients to a minimum and ensures that patients are not subjected to departmental conversations and any inappropriate behavior.
- Demonstrates leadership in all aspects of department operations. Relies on experience, judgement and time management skills to plan and accomplish departmental goals.
- Conforms to hospital standard of conduct at all times, while providing the best possible patient care, customer service and pride and professionalism of self and work. Employee will be responsible at all times for following hospital and/or department-established policies. Utilizes hospital's values as the basis for decision-making and to facilitate the hospitals' mission.
- Communicates with patients, visitors, physicians, fellow employees and other staff in a courteous, professional, friendly and understanding way. Treats patients and fellow staff with dignity and respect and reports any/all problems to Operations Manager.
- Responsible for Breast Imaging supply management.
- Leads and maintains the quality assurance program, enacted by the FDA, in conjunction with the Operations Manager and Section Chief of Breast Imaging.
- Assists in the development of and participates in departments Quality Assurance program to ensure that the department standards are set forth by Section Chief of Breast Imaging and Operations Manager are adhered to and updates as necessary.
- Maintains current state and national credentials. Keeps skill level up-to-date by continuing education and performing examinations.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards/
Work requires knowledge of principles and procedures of Radiography / Mammography and the operation and maintenance of Radiographic / Mammographic equipment generally acquired through the completion of two years post-high school training in an approved school of Radiologic Technology.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- State license in Mammography, ARRT (M) and all applicable Radiology education requirements.
- Current BLS/CPR certification
- Minimum of 5 years of as mammography technologists is preferred
- Requires at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Work requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients and to allay any apprehensions, to instruct students and to provide leadership and direction to assigned staff.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent ability to adapt to change.
- Extensive knowledge of breast anatomy and pathology preferred.
- Work requires proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.
Req id: 17656 Apply