Position: Career Development Counselor
Department: Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights and the Immigrant and Refugee Health Center
Schedule: 32 Hours, Days
Provide career services for immigrant and refugee patients served by the Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights and the Immigrant and Refugee Health Center that improve access to economic opportunities and livable wage jobs. The Career Counselor works across all Programs of the IRHC, which are embedded in multiple outpatient departments, to assist patients to develop and follow through with their career development plan. The position is 32 hours (4 days per week) and is remote until in-person services resume.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilize career coaching and navigation skills to assist individual patients with career exploration, employment and/or other career-focused goals.
- Provide guidance and direct support in use of job search tools and techniques including resume and cover letter development, LinkedIn profile, networking and interviewing.
- Refer and advocate for qualified patients seeking admission to job training programs, internships, apprenticeships or volunteer work.
- Update and facilitate Job Readiness workshops.
- Assist with coordination of projects and events (e.g. digital literacy).
- Utilize EPIC and other technology tools to manage appointments, complete case notes and track outcomes.
- Provide vocational rehabilitation referrals to appropriate programs for patients with functional limitations or disability.
- Support skilled immigrants with informed decision making when pursuing re-licensure in professional occupation.
- Perform other administrative tasks as needed, attend clinical meetings, and contribute to grant reports, team projects, trainings and conferences.
Bachelor's degree plus at least one year of relevant experience. ( Associates plus 3+ years of directly related or lived experience and/or language skills that meet the needs of the patient population served).
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Foreign language fluency or bilingual in Spanish, Haitian Creole or French preferred.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations through workforce development, refugee resettlement, case management, employment counseling, alternative staffing or related field.
- Excellent oral/written English communication skills including grammatical, editing and proofreading.
- Strong interpersonal, rapport-building and emotional intelligence to work with program participants and engage with stakeholders, supporters, partners and employers.
- Comfortable working with individuals from diverse, demographic, socioeconomic, linguistic and situational backgrounds.
- Resourceful, flexible and adaptable in problem solving using independent judgement.
- Proven ability to work with confidential information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook) and web browsers. Familiarity with Adobe Creative apps a plus.
Req id: 17289 Apply Back to Top
+ READ FULL JOB DESCRIPTION