Position: Director Facilities-Operations
Department: Facilities & Support Services
Provides general management, supervision, and professional direction to a comprehensive facilities management organization that provides engineering; facilities maintenance and repair; technical renovations; utilities generation and distribution; and other maintenance services to the Hospital. The department comprises a work force of approximately 44 employees, delivers services representing an annual business volume of approximately $15 million and manages an annual capital volume of approximately $5 million annually.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Develops and recommends planning guidelines, and procedures for the development of the Hospital's capital budget program related to maintenance of the campus, and manages the program throughout the process of development, approval, and implementation.
- Develops and implements, or recommends policies and procedures for facilities and utilities systems management, maintenance, and operation. Represents Facilities to the executive branches of Administration and to local government agencies on matters concerning facilities and facilities planning.
- Manages and directs, through subordinate supervisors and staff, the technical and administrative aspects of several operating divisions providing maintenance and utility services to the BUMC community.
- Coordinates with other managers concerning accomplishment of work by Facilities Management.
- Determines what work can be accomplished with in-house forces and recommended contracting of overload.
- Administers, inspects and accepts maintenance or service work performed by contract, approves payments of contracts and invoices. Plan, direct and coordinate facilities and services support for all joint or complimentary Hospital, School or other partner initiatives.
- Responsibility to commit departmental resources, establish divisional policies and procedures in all functional areas. Keep the Executive Director Operations and Public Safety informed of division's progress and/or problems on issues affecting the same. Establish divisional goals in collaboration with subordinates, peers, and senior management.
- Jointly responsible for "Technical Design Standards" for new construction and renovation projects with Construction and Design division. Responsible for Joint Commission Facilities/Utilities documentation and standards for the Department. Responsible for measurement of quality and reporting of same.
- Manages and directs all internal and external technical and administrative aspects of the maintenance division work centers and trades personnel who provide maintenance and operations services for all buildings including all interior and exterior maintenance.
- Carries out a computerized preventive maintenance program for facilities and related equipment, provide routine and emergency maintenance, service calls and maintenance service requests and complete major maintenance and repair projects.
- Jointly administers technical and administrative aspects of all trades, providing construction, alterations and renovation services for educational, research and medical facilities. The operation of this division is similar to that of a private contractor. Most work is on a fixed price basis, requiring skill in material and personnel management in order that projects are completed quickly, efficiently and within budget and without interfering with the user's ability to carry on normal daily research and educational functions. Manages the Facilities CAD, paper drawing, and building manual archives.
- Prepares budgets based upon the desired level of maintenance and plans for repair work.
- Responsible for the control of expenditures of funds allotted to protect against over expenditures and assure maximum utilization of funds. Also plans and budgets for replacement of maintenance equipment and shop tools. Adjust size of staff in proportion to work-loads and budget limitations.
- Develops annual capital budgets for maintenance, utilities, and infrastructure improvements and budgets; schedules tracking mechanisms for the same.
- Models the Hospital's Universal Performance Standards and specialized Division/Department standards in all facets of work.
Graduate of an accredited college or University with major studies in engineering, management or related fields. Advanced degree in engineering or management fields is desirable..
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Skills and experience with engineering or architectural design, maintenance management, budgeting expenditure development and tracking, and capital construction practices.
- Significant experience and abilities related to the development and management of budgets.
- Registration as a professional engineer in civil, mechanical or electrical engineering is preferred.
- Familiarity and understanding of the building codes of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Joint Commission.
- Understanding of the principles of business politics sufficient to identify principal constituencies and to establish and maintain open and positive communications with each.
- Extensive management skills and abilities in the field of utilities plant and system operations, facilities management and/or construction. Considerable knowledge in preparation and management of numerous budgets. Capable of communicating with all levels of trades and management personnel. Ability to coordinate activities of multifaceted operation to provide effective support and services to a diverse constituency.
Req id: 17106 Apply