Pediatric Emergency Department
Shift: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (12-9:30pm) 36 hrs
This position will primarily be for full time (36 hours) clinical coverage within the Pediatric Emergency Department, however may extend to other areas of the hospital where child life support is needed.
The Child Life Specialist ensures that comprehensive services are provided to minimize the negative impact of trauma, illness and hospitalization by addressing the emotional, cognitive, and developmental needs of patients and families throughout the healthcare experience.
- Child Life Specialist
- Pediatric Emergency Department
- Menino Building
- 36 Hours Day/Evening (9 hour shifts)
- Baccalaureate degree in child life or closely related field with 1-2 years of experience in child life setting is required. Masters preferred.
- Completion of a 480 hour child life internship under the direct supervision of a certified child life specialist required.
- Certification as a child life specialist is required.
Duties and Responsibilities: (these are a general summary and not all inclusive)
- Assists patients and families in coping with illness and hospitalization.
- Provides developmentally appropriate preparation and education to patients and families regarding their healthcare experiences.
- Documents and maintains updated patient information pertaining to services provided.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team in an effort to support a family centered care approach to services.
- Provides individualized therapeutic interventions to assist with support of emotional, cognitive, and developmental needs.
- Normalizes environment to reduce impact of healthcare experiences on development and coping.
- Provides legacy and bereavement support for patients and families encountering grief as needed.
- Provides program development for the assigned clinical area.
- Maintains an appropriate, safe and supportive environment for children and families in the patient care setting.
- Participates in meetings included but not limited to; patient care rounding, unit meetings and child life staff meeting.
- Works alongside manager and child life staff pertaining to donations, budget for resources and supply needs.
- Participates in volunteer and student training, support and supervision.
- Adheres to infection control policy set forth by institution.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Preferred strong knowledge of hospital practices, procedures and medical terminology.
Comfort with diversity, an array of illnesses and diagnosis as well as cultures.
Comfort with all developmental ages ranging infancy through young adult.
Strong interpersonal skill set and the ability to be flexible as well as work within a healthcare team.
Ability to prioritize, take initiative, and be self-motivated.
Req id: 16782 Apply