Position: Emergency Department Research Assistant
Department: Emergency Medicine Research
Schedule: 40 Hour Days
Job Description Summary
- Work directly with the Director of Research Operations and Principal Investigators of ongoing protocols within the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Conduct medical record abstraction.
- Educates participants about the research protocol, their roles in the protocols, and any other vital information. Serves as a liaison between the participants and Principal Investigator.
- Enroll participants in a variety of studies in the emergency department without interfering with clinical care.
- Obtains consent forms. Interviews and observes participants for research protocols and collects data to validate eligibility and patient commitment. Enters responses and observations into computer database.
- Collects data and or specimens as required by individual protocols. Ensures all data field are accurately coded. Reports results that warrant prompt action to the physicians.
- Performs data back-up and transfers data to the appropriate databases. Maintain accurate records in patient logs and databases and ensure that documentation is saved in appropriate binders.
- Schedules any follow-up visits for patients participating in projects according to study protocols.
- Maintain strict adherence to approved study protocols. Communicates with the Director of Research Operations to ensure study needs are met in a timely fashion - replenishing study supplies, troubleshooting computer problems, notifying when a study participant is difficult to contact, etc.
- As requested, gathers information needed for grants submittals (data summaries, literature searches, progress reports, etc.).
- Performs miscellaneous administrative duties such as answering phones, storing and distributing office supplies, handling faxes, scanning, filing, photocopying, collating materials, maintaining the update of policy manuals, maintaining databases, taking notes at meetings, distributing meeting minutes, etc.
- Adheres to legal, professional and ethical codes with respect to patient confidentiality and privacy. Responsible for obtaining and maintaining all study certifications, including Human Subjects Certification.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required.
- Prefer experience in clinical research, public health experience or working with children and families.
- Previous experience with recruiting subjects, with an understanding of the ethical and technical conduct of research preferred
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Bilingual candidate preferred, not required, fluent in spoken and written English, Spanish, and/or Haitian Creole.
- Cultural sensitivity and comfort with a wide range of social, racial and ethnic populations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook) and web browsers. Experience with statistical software a plus.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal/health sensitive information
Req id: 16609 Apply