ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
1.0 Clinical Practice
1.1 Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to patients and families according to established collaborative protocols and standards of care.
1.2 Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of patient care that reflects cost effective management of time, available human resources, supplies, and equipment.
1.3 Performs physical examinations and provides preventive health measures within prescribed guidelines and appropriate to patient needs.
1.4 Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate lab and diagnostic tests to assess patient's clinical problems and health care needs.
1.5 Based on outcome of diagnostic, lab, and physical assessment findings, arranges for appropriate plan of care and follow-up.
Records pertinent patient care findings in the medical record. Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and communicating patient care information by discussing patient data with appropriate physicians and other health care professionals.
1.8 Evaluates outcomes of patient care and makes necessary revisions in care plan.
1.9 Seeks and provides consultative services as required.
1.10 Through patient education and counseling, incorporates the concepts of health maintenance, prevention, and promotion into daily practice.
1.11 Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists staff, patients, and families to effectively utilize them.
1.12 Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age groups of patients regularly served.
1.13 Notifies supervisor when patients in age groups not regularly served present, and seeks assistance from individuals with the knowledge of the specialized needs of such patient age groups.
2. Professional Development
2.1 In collaboration with appropriate physicians, assists in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of nurse practitioner guidelines, policies, procedures, and protocols.
2.2 Demonstrates leadership skills in problem solving with and directing designated personnel in assigned clinical area.
Maintains current knowledge of legislation that may affect the health care delivery system and the function of the nurse practitioner in the hospital setting. Serves on nursing and hospital committees when requested and refers appropriate information to various departmental and hospital committees as needed.
2.5 Identifies own learning needs and assumes responsibility for maintaining current knowledge and competency in clinical practice area.
2.6 Educates patients, families, and professionals through the development of educational materials, in-services, formal lectures, and/or publications.
3. Quality Assessment/improvement and Research
3.1 Responsible to track outcomes and data reportable to funders.
3.2 Based on quality improvement finding, identifies appropriate follow-up quality improvement projects or research studies.
3.3 Utilizes quality improvement data and research findings to enhance patient care.
3.4 Participates in patient care research at a level consistent with educational background and experience. Duties may vary by based on each program, but typically include: assessing patients' condition, readiness and eligibility for study enrollment as a research subject, conducting ongoing study procedures such as blood draws, immunizations, injections, etc., completing case report forms , preparation of research reports and statistical interpretation. Duties also include study subject recruitment, staff recruitment, assigning tasks and projects, collection of data and analysis and performing other related duties. Provides education to staff and patients regarding FDA and IRB regulations, and protection of human subjects. Consistently participates in the quality assessment/improvement program for the service.
4.1 Perform other duties as needed.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
Master's degree in nursing required. Completion of an accredited educational program for nurse practitioners required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with authorization by the Board of Registration in Nursing to practice in an expanded role.
- Registered with the ANCC or other accrediting organization for Nurse Practitioners.
- Registered with the State of Massachusetts and DEA for prescription writing privileges.
- Current BLS Certification
Minimum of three years of current clinical nursing experience required. Prior experience in similar clinical setting/specialty preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Expert clinical judgment and ability to be self-directive and demonstrate initiative in an expanded role.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to apply principles of adult learning to provide effective patient and/or family education.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with the various members of the health care team, patients and families.
- Computer proficiency inclusive of the ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information required.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with the practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
Req ID: 16327Apply