Job Description Summary
Boston Medical Center Health System (BMCHS) is an integrated health system comprised of the largest safety net hospital in New England and a health plan that cares for over 400,000 members across Massachusetts and New Hampshire. As part of our system we operate four Medicaid Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) in Massachusetts through a three-year-old reform of MassHealth; we share risk and take responsibility for quality of care for our ACO members under the program.
In order to succeed as an integrated health system, BMCHS is rapidly designing and implementing programs to drive quality and manage total cost of care. Part of this portfolio is a set of programs that go beyond traditional clinical services to address social determinants of health like housing and nutrition. Through MassHealth's Flexible Services program, we have a budget of approximately $17M over three years to invest in evidence-supported housing and nutrition services for our members.
The Senior Manager of Social Services will report to the Senior Director, Strategy and Operations and will oversee BMCHS' Flexible Services program. The Senior Manager of Social Services will have responsibility for forming program strategy, contracting with community organizations, managing partnerships, and steering program operations. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, oversight of the following efforts:
- Flexible Services program strategy—the Senior Manager of Social Services will shape and implement BMCHS' Flexible Services program strategy, building upon work to date and programmatic relationships in development. This work will include identifying members' housing and nutrition needs, evaluating and engaging with potential partners, and making resource allocation recommendations, under the guidance of the Senior Director, Strategy and Operations.
- Contracting—to realize program strategy, the Senior Manager of Social Services will need to execute contracts with community organizations for housing and nutrition services. The Senior Manager will guide the contracting process from start to finish, engaging with teams at BMCHS who will access the Flexible Services programs—like our complex care management team—to determine what services to contract for as well as with BMCHS counsel to develop and complete contracts.
- Partnership management—the Senior Manager of Social Services will need to work closely with community organizations in the housing and nutrition spaces to design, contract for, and manage Flexible Services programs, in the process constructing strong and successful relationships with community organization teams.
- Program operations—once Flex Services contracts are executed, the Senior Manager of Social Services will oversee service delivery, codify standard operating procedures, analyze data and information to manage performance, and troubleshoot implementation issues. This includes defining methods for measuring Flexible Services program success and demonstrating program effectiveness, and partnering with BMCHS' Analytics team to define data and reports needed to manage performance.
- Compliance—as part of program design and implementation, the Senior Manager of Social Services will work to ensure that contracts and program operations all conform to MassHealth requirements for the program. This includes securing MassHealth approval for our service delivery strategy, monitoring spending and program activity, and reporting to MassHealth.
The Senior Manager of Social Services may also perform other duties as needed and may support other domains of social services work beyond housing and nutrition if required.
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Excellent at project management to track progress across multiple initiatives, identify and flag bottlenecks and risks. Has ability to manage and prioritize across multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Strong operational thinking: Effective at understanding how to create and operate an effective program in the social service or healthcare space
- Able to prioritize needs of traditionally-underserved populations, elicit and incorporate diverse perspectives, and work from a framework of social justice
- Curious and creative: Capable of finding the right analytic approach, always asking questions and testing the data and analysis to ensure that we are answering the right key questions. Positive attitude and willingness to own all aspects of a project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Superb communication skills to distill complicated issues into clear recommendations. Strong interpersonal skills to navigate competing stakeholder interests
- Outcomes-focused: Ability to manage multiple high priority projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Passionate about our mission: Highest level of integrity and respect for colleagues and for our mission to provide Exceptional Care Without Exception to our patients and members
Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, or related fields preferred.
6+ years of experience in a social services or healthcare environment.
Req ID: 15972Apply