This position is a special role designed for the Public Health programs. The Specialist will work across all outreach and screening programs and public health interventions. The Specialist will have the primary responsibility of providing outreach and navigation services to clients with substance use disorder. The Specialist will also provide testing and will deliver results directly to patients and linking positives to necessary services/care. They will work with the medical providers, the BMC lab, and program management to ensure that these positive patients receive appropriate interventions, and any other necessary services. The OS will conduct outreach on the BMC campus in the community, and street when necessary to engage the target population as well as following-up and engaging positive cases for linkage to care. All positive STI and HCV patients will be followed closely by the OS through medical engagement up until treatment completion. HIV positive cases will be referred to the HIV Clinic and a warm handoff to Medical Case Management will occur. The position will conduct individual HIV/HCV/STI/TB prevention counseling sessions based on a DPH required acuity tool. Within these sessions, the OS will be required to educate and refer any high risk patients to biomedical prevention strategies such as PrEP and nPEP. The OS will conduct sexual health risk assessment and risk reduction services, and assessing the acuity of need for further interventions and follow up. Staff will be trained to assess risk for TB and any patient needing TB services including LTBI will be directly referred to the BPHC TB clinic. The OS will track all work in the EMR as well as an internal database. The OS will also receive referrals from BMC and community staff for HIV/HCV/STI/TB testing and navigation services. The BPS conducts all activities within the standards, regulations, and contract assurances of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) contract.
Associates degree (or equivalent, such as completion of medical assistant training) plus 1 - 2 years of work experience or
Bachelor's degree, preferably in human services public health, human services, social work, research, or related field.
However, an equivalent combination of education and experience or specific certifications/licensures, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility, may be substituted for the education and experience requirements
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
CDC/MDPH HIV education training and certification required (may be obtained post-employment)
Phlebotomy Training (may be obtained post-employment)
Experience in public health related medical/social/testing issues, including addiction, homelessness, sexuality, and refugee/immigration issues preferred or other comparable Human Services, Mental Health, Addiction, or Social Services experience preferred. Experience in public health Prevention and Education also preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bilingual/bicultural candidates preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to help clients with diverse psychosocial needs.
- Motivation and self-direction; ability to prioritize competing responsibilities in fast-paced programmatic setting.
- Skills related to leadership, motivation, group dynamics, and client retention
- Computer competency, including the ability to enter and access data, required.
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a diverse team.
- Ability to work with other community-based human services organizations
- Sensitivity to populations at increased risk for disease acquisition (through intravenous drug use, exposure to an intravenous drug user, high-risk sexual activities such as prostitution, street criminal activity, and homelessness)
- Flexibility with client's priorities, evolving needs, and goals.
- Sensitivity to ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, values, beliefs, and behaviors
- Ability to enter and track data through internal data system and medical note writing in the EMR
- Ability to meet deadlines
Req ID: 15944Apply