Job Description Summary
Boston Medical Center Health System (BMCHS) is an integrated health system comprised of the largest safety net hospital in New England and a health plan that cares for over 400,000 members across Massachusetts and New Hampshire. As part of our system we operate four Medicaid Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) in Massachusetts through a three-year-old reform of MassHealth; we share risk and take responsibility for quality of care for our ACO members under the program.
In order to succeed as an integrated health system, BMCHS is rapidly designing and implementing programs to drive quality and manage total cost of care. Part of this portfolio is a set of programs that go beyond traditional clinical services to address social determinants of health like housing.
The Manager of Housing and Health will report to the Senior Director, Strategy and Operations and will oversee housing programs and services designed to meet the needs of patients experiencing homelessness and patients who are housing unstable. This includes programs operated by BMCHS as well as partnerships with community organizations. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, oversight of the following efforts:
- Housing program operations: BMCHS has created a set of care management and coordination services designed to support our patients experiencing homelessness or facing housing instability. The Manager of Housing and Health will steer the development of new services, oversee the operations of established services, and work to drive overall quality and performance through their portfolio. This may include ensuring smooth integration of programs with ACO sites and with other care management programs, analyzing cost and outcome data to identify opportunities for program improvement, and ensuring sound program operations.
- Partnership management: BMCHS will not be able to address our patients' housing needs alone, and we are building partnerships with community organizations that can provide complementary capabilities and services to our patients. The Manager of Housing and Health will manage programmatic partnerships with a set of community organizations, including establishing standard operating procedures, managing performance, troubleshooting and resolving implementation issues, and cultivating strong and effective relationships.
- Housing team operations: the Manager of Housing and Health will also work to ensure smooth and efficient operations of the internal housing team at BMCHS.
In relation to driving the efforts above, the Manager of Housing and Health may perform these specific duties:
- Analyze data and information; develop strategies to improve operations and enhance service delivery; implement changes in conjunction with and with advice from the management team
- Codify operational workflows, and evolve them to accommodate changing context or new insights as needed
- Generate cost-effective operational adjustments that enhance program efficiency
- Develop program performance standards in conjunction with BMCHS leadership and, where relevant, community organizations; monitor program performance regularly against those standards; and prepare and implement steps to improve performance where needed
- Define methods for measuring program success and demonstrating program effectiveness; partner with BMCHS Analytics team to define data and reports needed to manage performance
- Manage relationships with community organizations; work with them to meet expectations and resolve problems that arise
- Under the direction of the Senior Director, Strategy and Operations, assume a leadership role in executing new programs
- Perform other duties as needed
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Excellent at project management to track progress across multiple initiatives, identify and flag bottlenecks and risks. Has ability to manage and prioritize across multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Strong operational thinking: Effective at understanding how to create and operate an effective program in the social service or healthcare space
- Able to prioritize needs of traditionally-underserved populations, elicit and incorporate diverse perspectives, and work from a framework of social justice
- Curious and creative: Capable of finding the right analytic approach, always asking questions and testing the data and analysis to ensure that we are answering the right key questions. Positive attitude and willingness to own all aspects of a project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Superb communication skills to distill complicated issues into clear recommendations. Strong interpersonal skills to navigate competing stakeholder interests
- Outcomes-focused: Ability to manage multiple high priority projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Passionate about our mission: Highest level of integrity and respect for colleagues and for our mission to provide Exceptional Care Without Exception to our patients and members
Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, or related fields preferred.
5+ years of experience in a social services or healthcare environment.
Req ID: 15917Apply