ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
Under the direct supervision of the pharmacist, supports the department in the ethical practice of pharmacy on a daily basis by providing effective, appropriate, and safe pharmacy services. Exemplifies the creation and maintenance of a healthy work environment. A healthy work environment is one where each member of the team feels supported and held accountable for their actions based on clearly defined standards and expectations.
- Pharmacy technician III may review, transcribe, and enter a valid prescription order from an authorized provider into the pharmacy system ensuring accuracy of transcription.
- Pharmacy technician III, after identifying him/herself as such, may request refill authorizations from the prescriber or prescriber's agent and, with the approval of the pharmacist on duty, receive new or omitted prescription information from the prescriber or agent, except where otherwise prohibited by federal or state law and regulations.
- Pharmacy technician III may, with the approval of the pharmacist on duty, perform prescription transfers between pharmacies or pharmacy departments for prescriptions issued for controlled substances only in Schedule VI.
- Processes prescription orders in a timely manner; retrieves, counts, measures and prepares medications, solutions, ointments, and other compounds as directed. Ensures all work is checked by a pharmacist.
- Supports the service needs of the pharmacist relative to pharmacy services and maximized patient care outcomes. These needs include but are not limited to communication with providers on behalf of the pharmacist; assisting the pharmacist with all third party transactions; online adjudication resolution; expedition of discharge, delivery, transplant, high risk patients prescriptions;
- Conducts interpersonal communications and assistance with patients, visitors, physicians, and fellow team members in a courteous and friendly manner. Refers patients and visitors to pharmacist or manager on matters requiring their attention.
- Greets customers and provide a positive customer service experience and service recovery conflict resolution when appropriate; assist customers with their questions, problems and complaints in person and via the phone in professional manner; obtains information for new prescriptions, while maintaining customer / patient confidentiality.
- For prescriptions related inquiries offer a pharmacist consult. Refer all clinician and customer clinical questions to a pharmacist as appropriate.
- Communicates to pharmacists and/or pharmacy manager on the maintenance and malfunctioning of equipment and unsafe working conditions.
- Performs the packaging and shipping preparation steps of mailing prescriptions to patients with accuracy.
- High level functioning individual with an ability to perform assigned and responsible tasks independently.
- Maintains own professional and specialized competency, including the following:
- National Technician certification.
- Assumes responsibility for participating in experiences necessary to ensure appropriate skill development and training.
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of developments in the field through continuing education, reviewing pertinent literature and/or by attending professional meetings.
- Attends and participates in hospital and other management training and development workshops.
- Maintains excellent familiarity with appropriate department policies and procedures, including adhering to the following:
- Adapts to changes in the departmental needs including but not limited to: offering assistance to other team members, floating, adjusting assignments, etc.
- Maintains all designated medical information confidential as per established protocols.
- Maintains work environment in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Utilizes hospital's behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department and the mission and goals.
- Follows established infection control and safety procedures.
- Possess competency to train/mentor other technician team members and become involved in staff development.
- Possess competency and a willingness to participate in special projects and tasks as assigned/appropriate by management.
- Possess competency and a willingness to participate within the departmental interview process for Tech I or Tech II positions.
Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
Requires a high school diploma (or state accepted equivalency).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Must be registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the Board
Must be Nationally Certified by examination by a Board approved credentialing program
Minimum of 4 years outpatient pharmacy as a Tech I or Tech II or equal experience required
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Work requires effective interpersonal skills to interact appropriately with hospital staff, patients, families/visitors, physicians, colleagues, and others.
- Ability to speak the English language, read, interpret and follow complicated verbal and written instruction with precision, accuracy and dependability.
- Additional language skills (beyond that of English) appropriate to the patient population served is very helpful.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize essential tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong math skills required; ability to perform work accurately and pay attention to details, including being able to perform general mathematical functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios & proportions).
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information. Knowledge of Microsoft Access and Excel.
- Comprehension of pharmacy law and Board regulations
- Must maintain the required level of competency to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Req ID: 15658Apply