- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to develop, revise, and update clinical plans of care for patients undergoing high dose chemotherapy and stem cell transplantation.
- Collaborates with physician, administrative, nursing and ancillary support staff in the development, and implementation of FACT-approved practice guidelines.
- Assesses and evaluates quality improvement data, critical pathway/clinical practice variances and implements strategies to achieve clinical outcomes.
- Independently delivers direct patient care via patient and family consults and management of symptoms.
- Establishes goals of care with patients and families, and facilitates communication among all members of the health care team to ensure continuity of care. Assesses and addresses the physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual needs of patients and families, and incorporates specialty services as appropriate in treatment goals.
- Facilitates problem solving and decision making by providing guidance and support to the patient, family, and health care provider around the prognosis and course of care in the acute care setting and following discharge.
- In collaboration with the healthcare team, directs, coordinates, supervises, and provides care to a caseload of patients which may include:
- Completion of initial transplant consult assessment, history and physical, review of admitting diagnoses/problem(s).
- Providing direct care to patients and families with complex or specialized needs. Makes recommendations about aggressive symptom management.
- Coordinating interdisciplinary communication, e.g., patient care conferences and/or team meetings, based on data reflective of specific patient needs.
- Coordinates discharge planning and follow-up care, anticipates discharge needs and makes appropriate suggestions for internal and/or external referrals.
- Conducts formal and informal patient, family, and staff education related to critical pathways, clinical practice guidelines/standard operating procedures (SOP's), and quality improvement findings.
- Establishes, leads, and or participates in appropriate forums to provide programs, teaching information and seeks program effectiveness feedback.
- Contributes to the education of medical and nursing students, medical residents, fellows and other health care disciplines with primary focus on area of specializati
- Assists in the development of patient teaching materials.
- Expands specialty practice base by utilizing, disseminating, or conducting nursing research to maximize high quality, cost-effective patient outcomes.
- Ensures adherence to study protocols and maintains all patient data pertinent to the study projects.
- Performs ongoing evaluation of clinical outcomes of assigned caseloadand identify opportunities for improvement.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Service, analyzes systems, trends, and critical pathway variances, and implements strategies to improve patient care/outcome. Maximizes efficiency of operational systems by:
- Identifying opportunities for intra/inter departmental operational process improvement.
- Evaluating efficiency and cost-effectiveness of multi-disciplinary and interdepartmental efforts.
- Collaboratively identifying, implementing, and evaluating strategies to improve operational systems related to targeted patient population(s).
- Evaluating the specialty service's clinical practice in relation to patient/family satisfaction.
- Participates in the development and implementation of standards for transplant patients and research protocol patients in conjunction with other health care professionals
- Interprets and communicates research and published data to nursing staff and other health care professionals relative to transplant patients.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of strategies to improve cost-benefit for patients.
- Collaborates with appropriate departments to assure that clinical documentation is complete, accurate, and maximizes reimbursement.
- Communicates clinical specialty knowledge through professional publication, role modeling, and sharing expertise with the professional community.
- Identifies own learning needs and assumes responsibility for maintaining current knowledge, competency, and expertise in area of specialty
- Completes annual mandatory educational requirements, e.g., safety review, infection control standards, departmental/specialty competencies, and maintains appropriate credential status.
- Participates as a committee member and/or chairperson when requested.
- Serves as primary liaison for the Stem Cell Transplant Team with patients, families, and other health care providers.
- Ensures follow-through of all patient care plans that are developed with patients, families, and the Stem Cell Transplant Team.
- Tracks all active patients through the system and expedites comprehensive care based on patient needs and goals.
- Maintains and updates database and statistics of all patients followed in the Program.
- Provides outreach to referring nurses and physicians. Ensures prompt communication from caregivers to those making referrals.
- Acts as the liaison to other hospital departments to resolve problems that interfere with the optimal operation of the Stem Cell Transplant Program
- Helps develops and implement patient satisfaction tool for the program.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Req ID: 15403Apply