Care of the Patient and Family/Visitors:  Performs a variety of direct service activities to ensure that patients and their families/visitors receive timely information and appropriate responses to their needs.
Medical Record and Order Entry:  Maintains accurate, complete, up-to-date patient care records as defined by hospital policy.
Care of the Environment, Equipment and Material Supplies:  Performs a variety of activities to ensure a clean, safe and stocked unit environment for patients, visitors and staff.
Work Rules, Standards, and Competency Compliance:  Acts in a manner that supports a positive and collaborative work environment and that is congruent with established standards, policies, procedures, and regulations.
Performs other duties as needed.
Requires a high school education or GED.
Must complete competency requirements as offered.
One to two years previous clerical experience. Healthcare setting preferred.
- Work requires demonstrated competence to effectively speak, read and write English.  Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the Boston Medical Center are preferred.
- Work requires ability to accurately interpret and utilize medical terminology and abbreviations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with various computer software systems, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and hospital wide systems such as SEM, IDX, SDK, etc.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot basic office equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact appropriately with nursing staff, patients, families/visitors, physicians, and other hospital staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Organizational skills to effectively set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Ability to effectively apply basic administrative skills, e.g., typing, filing, telephone skills, etc.
- Work requires physical ability to meet core job requirements in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.