The Patient Services Rep will be responsible for handling inbound and outbound communications for Emergency registration. The Patient Access Rep will handle patient inquiries, following-up with patients resolving patient questions/concerns regarding insurance verification and authorization management. Conduct registration duties in a very fast paced, high acuity Trauma I Emergency Department. Must be comfortable working with varied medical, traumatic and Psychiatric issues.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
The Patient Access Rep is intended to meet the demands of rapid high acuity Emergency Department Team and supporting the major work flows in the Department. Essential responsibilities include:
- Registers patients in a prompt, efficient and courteous manner. Greets all patients and identifies self.
- Identifies patient appropriately at registration by reviewing government issued documents e.g. driver's license, passport, etc.
- Prepares patient ID band and places band on patient wrist during registration process.
- Performs full registration activities at the patient's bedside utilizing Workstations on Wheels (WOW) technologies - computer, scanners, signature pads, etc.
- Reviews and completes all patient demographic information and required data
- Obtains signatures on all necessary insurance forms, Consents, Medicare Rights, and Health Care Proxy etc. where required
- The Patient Access Rep communicates with patients and staff using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, emails, faxes or mail.
- Answers and resolves patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Utilizes established department guidelines to ensure patients issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call to the appropriate person in the department for additional consultation.
- Collaborates with Security Department the accuracy in documenting and verifying patient valuables
- Sustains proficiency in Department downtime procedures and patient tracking system.
- Collect copays or deductibles as required.
- Provides accurate and detailed information and updates patients' records, using the various management information systems used at BMC: Epic, RTE, Trizetto, Payor Sites and others.
- Demonstrates highly developed interpersonal skills in order to relate to patients of all ages, staff members, physicians, and visitors, negotiate effective working relationships, and develop positive resolutions to conflict. Maintains a strong customer service orientation.
- Ensures strong organizational skills in order to manage multiple tasks simultaneously combined with ability to effectively prioritize
- Ensures the ability to be discrete and protect integrity of confidential information
- Identifies opportunities to improve the work processes and environment, and changes in Practice protocols; remains current on new developments in health care.
- Escalates appropriately any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient
- Attends scheduled training sessions for phone support, customer service, systems upgrades, newly acquired clinical systems, or other relevant training sessions, as directed by manager.
- Assists in the training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of a manager and/or supervisor.
- Participates in staff meetings/ is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
General Duties and Standards
- Adapts to changes in the departmental needs including but not limited to: offering assistance to other team members, floating, adjusting assignments, scheduling, etc.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights and HIPAA and privacy rules, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital's behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the department and the hospital's mission and goals.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Other duties as needed.
Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
Must be a high school graduate or have a GED.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Required: 1-2 years of relevant experience (one of which in admitting, medical office, managed care or insurance).
Preferred: Additional training as a Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, or other relevant healthcare background, training and/or experience that will provide the ability to understand and be fluent in medical terminology..
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must understand computer, office and medical terminology
- Must demonstrate ease with medicalterminology and be able explain healthcare issues to patients with empathy and concern
- Ability to empathize with and coach the patient in navigating the healthcare system
- Effective interpersonal skills to with a diverse group of professional and personalities in a team environment
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to communicate effectively with patients over the phone and in email and other communications
- Must be comfortable using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, online chats, emails, faxes or mail.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel & Outlook) and document work in aprofessional andefficient manner
- Have strong interpersonal skills and be able to work wellin a team environment.
Req ID: 14847Apply