Note: The Physician Assistant performs clinical duties in compliance with the scope of services defined by 263 CMR 5.00 Massachusetts Board of Registration of Physician Assistants. All professional activities of a physician assistant must be supervised by a supervising physician approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine pursuant to 243 CMR 2.08(7).
- Working under the direction of the Chief of Radiology and other attending physicians and the Chief Physician Assistant, is responsible for the initial assessment and admission of patients; assisting in the evaluation and preparation of patients for Neurointerventional radiology procedures; acting as first and second assistant in the Neurointerventional Radiology suite; caring for patients following intervention, helping prepare patients for discharge, and participating in the care of patients in Neurointerventional Radiology clinic.
- Provides patient care management. Reviews history, performs physical assessment, formulates care plans, and follow-up. Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Performs and/or interprets routine diagnostic studies, including routine laboratory procedures, common radiological studies, and initial interpretation of interventional radiology imaging studies,
- Presents and discusses the findings of the initial evaluation with the Attending Physician to determine the treatment plan. Documents the treatment plan and writes appropriate orders.
- Serves as first or second assistant in the interventional radiology suite. Prepares and drapes patient; accesses the vascular tree as needed; secures lines and dresses procedural sites; inserts intravascular catheters for monitoring purposes; performs related procedures, and post-treatment care as directed by interventional radiology attending.
- Provides postoperative care of patients. Performs, as needed, basic nursing care, such as, phlebotomy, intravenous and intra-arterial line placement; arterial blood gas sampling; insertion, removal and management of catheters; insertion and removal of tubes; removal of staples and sutures, perform necessary wound care (i.e. debridement, dressing changes), etc.
- Makes rounds to evaluate patients and writes progress reports.
- Oversees the entire clinical experience to assure that there is coordination and consolidation of patient care plans and execution of those plans to tie the service together. Facilitates communication with other departments, rehabilitation and home care staff, to ensure the delivery of excellent cost effective and efficient patient care.
- Consults with physicians or surgeons regarding the care of patients for more complex diagnosis.
- Under the countersignature of the attending physician, is responsible for transcribing preoperative and postoperative orders including prescription medication, fluid orders, diets, activity levels, laboratory tests, x-rays, special procedures and other procedures, as authorized applicable law and department protocol.
- May be authorized to write appropriate prescription orders, including those for narcotics, stimulants, and depressant drugs, and pre and postoperative orders as necessary.
- Records and maintains legible, accurate and confidential patient medical records including initial evaluation, subsequent follow-up, unusual incidents or problems, and patient progress to provide complete and up-to-date information for ongoing reference and evaluation. Prepares discharge documentation and post-discharge instructions.
- Educates patients and/or families about preventive and post-discharge care, medical issues, and use of prescribed medical treatments and/or medications.
- Ensures treatment and consultations consistent with NCQA (National Committee for Quality Assurance), TJC (The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations), and federal and state regulatory standards.
- May also be responsible for orienting fellows, residents, and medical students in the daily operations of the Neurointerventional Radiology service.
- Responsible for preparation of daily census, various reports as requested. Attends weekly staff meetings.
- Ensures professional growth and development through participation in educational programs and workshops and maintaining knowledge of industry standards and practices.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital's cultural beliefs as the basis for decision making and to support the hospital's mission and goals.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as required.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
Req ID: 14769Apply Back to Top