Our health system includes:
• Boston Medical Center, a 498-bed academic medical center and the leading safety-net hospital in New England
• Boston HealthNet, a network of 15 community health centers throughout Boston
• BMC Health Plan, a Medicaid managed care health plan that serves over 400,000 members across Massachusetts and New Hampshire
• Boston Accountable Care Organization, a partnership between BMC and local CHC's created to coordinate delivery of care across our health network
Our health system is undergoing major transformation as payment models align toward accountable care arrangements that reward higher quality, more efficient care delivery. At the core of this transformation is our ability to work with data to understand who our patients are, identify who needs special intervention, and target clinical programs that will drive better health outcomes for our patients.
The Population Health Analytics team sits at the center of our strategy, supporting the health system to accurately measure performance, understand key drivers, and identify new opportunities. This will include collaborating with clinical and operational leaders to design the right metrics and analyses, as well as developing insights that will inform critical decisions by senior leadership.
Key projects may include: How should we prioritize quality measures for improvement across the ACO? What explains variation in quality performance across sites or patient segments (e.g., homelessness)? What impact do our improvement efforts have on quality performance?
The Population Health Quality Analyst will play a key role on this team, and represents the key connecting point between Strategy, IT, Analytics, and our community health partners. The Population Health Quality Analyst will spend approximately 60-70% time focusing on improving patient quality and outcomes, with the remaining 30-40% focusing on Population Health initiatives, such as risk stratification, care management, readmissions, social determinants of health (homelessness), or substance use programs.
- Develop analyses that help the organization understand and monitor quality performance, break down key drivers, and identify new opportunities
- Create ongoing reports and high-impact dashboards and visuals that effectively communicate quality performance to operational and clinical leaders and stakeholders (e.g, Tableau dashboards)
- Develop quality gap lists to identify patients requiring intervention
- Work with our external data partners (e.g., Arcadia) to ensure data accuracy, design new reports, and resolve data questions. Become source of expertise for community health center partners on use of Arcadia platform for quality measurement and performance tracking. Drive validation of measures in Arcadia platform.
- Become expert in quality measure specifications (e.g., HEDIS); work directly across the BMC organization and community health partners to answer questions on specifications
- Develop models to prioritize where to focus efforts and resources by measures and patient segments
- Develop models to understand the role of health disparities in driving patient outcomes
- Work with IT and hospital to pull data from EMRs across network to support quality measure management
- Develop and maintain monthly Quality reports for our ACOs across MassHealth and Commercial contracts
- Ensure that final financial settlements from payers are correct
- Support other Population Health analytics initiatives, including risk coding, medical expense management, member attribution, risk stratification, readmissions, utilization management, and low-acuity ED.
- Interface with ACO partners and provider sites to engage on data questions, develop new analyses, and present results
- Manage multiple projects and analyses simultaneously while meeting key deadlines and deliverables, and prioritizing time and resources
- Identify and elevate key obstacles for intervention that may jeopardize timelines
Bachelor's degree, preference for concentration in economics, biology, biostatistics, data science, statistics, or computer science; Masters degree preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Two to three years of data analytics experience working with large data sets to answer important clinical, operational, or business questions; prior experience with healthcare data a plus.
Ability to conduct advanced analytics using SAS, SQL, or R; fluent in Excel. Knowledge of healthcare claims and/or EMR data a plus.
The Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a top performing analyst to help us find answers to complex healthcare questions across large and complex data sets, and to design and develop operational reports that will drive health system performance.
The ideal candidate will be:
Technically proficient: Strong programming skills. Capable of manipulating large data sets, cleaning and normalizing data, generating analysis and working through challenges independently
Strong analytic thinking: Effective at identifying the critical question, capable of navigating the trade-off's between accuracy / comprehensiveness / complexity vs. speed and simplicity, able to make independent decisions on how to adjust assumptions and analyses, can distill complex analysis into simple charts to communicate key takeaways
Curious and creative: Capable of finding the right analytic approach, always asking questions and testing the data and analysis to ensure that we are answering the right key questions.
Outcomes-focused: Ability to manage multiple high priority projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet key projects
Passionate about our mission: Highest level of integrity and respect for colleagues and for our mission to provide Exceptional Care Without Exception to our patients and members
Req ID: 14553Apply Back to Top