The Radiology Assistant is responsible for tracking, reporting and communicating any radiology incidental findings. The position will follow-up with ordering physicians and document their acknowledgment in the EMR whenever there is an incidental finding in one of their patient's exams. The position will also be responsible for keeping a log of all incidental findings and track resolution. In addition the Radiology Assistant will acquire new Prior authorization from referring clinics when exams are changed due to protocol and provide any assistance as needed to reschedule exams.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Keep track of all radiology incidental findings in Excel log and update with status and resolution
- Communicate with ordering physicians through EPIC mail when there is an incidental finding in one of their patients. Record the physician acknowledgement and next steps in log and Radiology report
- Report on non-compliant physicians with Incidental Finding guidelines and escalate to Medical Director and/or Department Chief according to Radiology process
- Communicate critical and semi-urgent findings to ordering providers as directed by the radiology residents and staff. After assistant reaches the ordering provider, he or she will read the conclusion of the preliminary or final radiology report to the clinician and request verbal acknowledgement from the provider. (Critical call documentation as needed).
- Contact outside clinics to communicate critical results to ordering providers (or covering physician or nurse)
- Track progress in excel log to make sure follow-up exams are completed upon recommendation by radiologist
- Daily review of exams changed due to protocol and obtain new prior authorization from referring clinics for these exams
- Responsible for approving add-on MR, CT and US studies if they meet written criteria as specified by the respective subspecialty sections. The assistant will then enter the pertinent patient information into the online add-on spreadsheet and communicate with the radiology front desk as needed. If criteria for add-ons are not met, the assistant will put the ordering provider in touch with the radiologist
- Relay technical issues to IT as directed by Radiologists
- Will be available to all radiologists in the department via pager, phone or instant messaging.
Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Two or more years of Administrative Assistant or related experience. Prior exposure to Epic, Excel and other electronic medical records systems is strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Work requires the analytical skills and judgment to interpret data and take the appropriate action in circumstances or situations, which are routine in nature. Recognizes when questions and situations are beyond routine knowledge base and directs appropriately to the Radiologists.
Work requires the ability to understand and respond to written or verbal instructions. Incumbents must respond appropriately to instructions, questions or requests for information. Have basic skills in PC hardware and software.
Excellent communications and customer service skills required.
Ability to work independently
Works well in a high stress environment
Req ID: 14410Apply Back to Top