- Translates hospital mission and goals into departmental goals and objectives. Defines, develops and implements short- and long-term strategies and plans to meet organizational objectives with direction and support from the Senior Administrative Director. Identifies needs and problems in relation to attaining goals and objective based on an analysis of information.
- Ensures the highly productive and cost effective quality performance of departments and services. Works with assigned managers, nursing management and medical directors, to provide for the identification, analysis and development of operating policies, systems, programs and standards. Establishes, approves, and implements administrative policies and procedures. Recommends and implements changes in policies and procedures to improve the cost effectiveness of operations and ensure that patient's time (i.e., for visits, appointments and treatments) is used in an efficient manner.
- Analyzes current operations to identify and evaluate program strengths and weaknesses in relation to operational effectiveness. Develops strategies and plans for new program development based on analysis of competitive trends, market share data, capital needs and human resource utilization.
- Maintains clinic policy and procedure manual. Adheres to performance standards as outlined by the Joint Commission.
- Ensures department productivity. Develops productivity measurements and adjusts resources to meet hospital standards as required by the Senior Director. Analyzes department productivity information and develops strategies to effect changes in operations and improvements in service using measurable criteria standards.
- Ensures the fiscal management of department activities ensuring that departments operate within allocated funds. Analyzes department spending plans and monitors department compliance with budgetary policy. Explores and resolves budgetary variances.
- Reviews and recommends changes in the charge structure in order to maximize hospital and department revenue in cooperation with the Finance Department. Ensure that adequate controls are in place for timely charge capture.
- Serves as a liaison for the Medical Staff to Hospital Administration. Consults regularly with Medical Directors and Chiefs of Services regarding service issues, problems and operations. Maintains an effective working relationship with Medical Staff to enhance service and quality. Works with Medical Staff to develop and implement programmatic business plans.
- Works collaboratively with a variety of hospital managers, nurse management personnel, physician groups, medical staff, professional staff and multi-disciplinary groups to accomplish hospital goals and objectives. Develops and maintains good communication and relationships within service departments.
- Plans departmental renovations and moves, including assessment of needs, and space utilization design. Oversees and coordinates all aspects of departmental renovations or relocation.
- Selects, trains/orients and assigns department staff (either directly or through subordinate supervisor). Develops standards of performance, evaluates performance, and initiates or makes recommendations for department operation. Maintains effective and appropriate staffing by monitoring employee turnover, overtime and absenteeism.
- Monitors productivity and performance to identify and evaluate program/ department strengths and training opportunities in relation to operational effectiveness.
- Encourages the professional and educational development of department personnel
- Interprets and enforces Human Resources' policies while ensuring disciplinary actions are implemented as necessary and effective. Consults legal counsel or the Legal Affairs Department related to Departmental issues.
- Oversees and trains the departmental professional staff and as ultimate responsibility for ensuring all daily and call schedules are being tracked; oversees recruitment activities and relocation contracts.
- Ensures that all pertinent credentialing and payer enrollment is completed prior to physician beginning clinical duties
- Reports regularly to the Chairman and Senior AD on the financial status of the department. Prepares departmental budgets and monitors performance. Administers and coordinates research funding and expenses.
- Negotiates and administers Boston Medical Center's physician contracts for the Department
- Manages relationship and performance with outside billing company to ensure billing is done effectively and efficiently, and is in compliance with third party regulations.
- Responsible for the coordination of necessary registration, coding, compliance, auditing, monthly billing reconciliation and follow-up requests for additional information required to enter a charge or resolve unpaid/underpaid claims.
Quality & Performance Metrics
- Participates in departmental and hospital-wide quality assurance activities. Leads departmental efforts in continuous quality improvement by involvement in teams as appropriate and by supporting changes recommended through the continuous improvement process. Participates in establishing and implementing quality assurance standards.
- Ensures compliance with standards and regulations from federal, state and local governments, as well as other regulatory bodies such as The Joint Commission. Ensures that all staff attend mandatory BMC training sessions, receive annual TB testing, etc.
- Resolves patient complaints emanating from areas of responsibility. Ensures that all significant patient complaints are reported promptly to the Patient Advocate or Director of Quality Improvement.
- Evaluates existing IT infrastructure and works to implement improvements to enable improved service delivery
- Grants/Special Funds: Works with the Department Research Administrator and is responsible for assisting staff in applying for grant and/or non-federal funds and meeting special requirements for those funds, and is responsible for the reporting, maintenance, and supervision of the departmental research budgets and research accounts. Assist in the monitoring of budgets within the granting guidelines.
- Responsible for research finances and administration
- Attends management meetings, and participates in other ACC and hospital committees as required. Complies with BMC managerial expectations, such as regular attendance at managers' meetings, safety training, annual diversity training, etc.
- Advances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs and workshops and maintaining knowledge of industry standards and practices.
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital's Values as the basis for decision-making and to facilitate the hospital's goals and mission.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
- Other duties as required.
- Utilizes hospital's behavioral standards as the basis for decision making and to support the hospital's mission and goals.
- Performs other duties as required.
Requires: Requires a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare, or related field. Masters in Business Administration or Masters in Hospital Administration preferred
Req ID: 14154Apply Back to Top