The Ambulatory Services Rep in Primary Care functions as a liaison between patients, their referring physicians (or representatives) and the other Hospital departments to coordinate the appointment referral process. The primary duties include:
- Coordinate appointments considering the patient's needs and expectations and the urgency of the referral. Schedule appointments by using online access, phone, e-mail or any other available medium. Generate and mail letters to patients with the appointment information.
- Ensure patient is notified of appointment and any special testing requirements via phone or letter.
- Follows up with patients and specialty clinics to reduce the number of no shows and to promote quick access, high-value, effective care.
- In collaboration with the department management, assists in ensuring proper response standards to improve health care quality and patient safety. Track patients' experiences and regularly report to department management any open issues or re-occurrences in order to strengthen the role and accountability of the Primary Care clinic.
In addition, performs a wide variety of administrative duties to ensure proper functioning of assigned department including, but not limited to:
- Reception & customer service
- creating or verifying Master Patient Index (MPI)
- registration demographics
- visit management
- appointment scheduling (including consults, tests, in-office procedures, follow-up visits and cross-booking interpreters, social services, radiology, etc)
- insurance/coverage verification
- co-payment collection
- front-end review and correcting registration & insurance edits
- pre-authorization, referral coordination and referral reconciliation
- Referral work lists
- Provides a variety of administrative duties in support of the practice (such as handling phones & mail, filling our forms, filing, photocopying, faxing, preparing letters, reports, etc).
Associates degree (or equivalent) or
HS/GED plus at least two years relevant experience.
Experience working in a clinical setting preferred.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills are required to interact with internal and external contacts in a courteous and patient focused manner.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, including the ability to use appropriate judgment, independent thinking and creativity when resolving customer issues.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal/health sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively handle challenging situations and to balance multiple priorities.
- Excellent follow-up and problem solving skills. Sense of urgency is also required.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel & Outlook) and web/internet are required. Experience with standard hospital registration & billing systems or ability to learn such systems is also required.
Req ID: 14006Apply Back to Top