Boston Medical Center Health System is a $2.6B integrated health system devoted to the proposition that every person regardless of their social or economic circumstances deserves the best health care. Our mission is to provide Exceptional Care, Without Exception and our vision is to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.
Our health system includes:
- Boston Medical Center, a 498-bed academic medical center and the leading safety-net hospital in New England
- Boston HealthNet, a network of 15 community health centers throughout Boston
- BMC Health Plan, a Medicaid managed care health plan that serves over 400,000 members across Massachusetts and New Hampshire
- Boston Accountable Care Organization, a partnership between BMC and local CHC's created to coordinate delivery of care across our health network
Our health system is undergoing major transformation as payment models align toward accountable care arrangements that reward higher quality, more efficient care delivery. At the core of this transformation is our ability to work with data to understand who our patients are, identify who needs special intervention, and target clinical programs that will drive better health outcomes for our patients.
The Population Health Analytics team will sit at the center of our strategy, supporting the health system to accurately measure performance, understand key drivers, and identify new opportunities. This will include collaborating with clinical and operational leaders to design the right metrics and analyses, as well as developing insights that will inform critical decisions by senior leadership.
Key projects may include: Who are the top 2% high risk patients who would benefit from care management intervention? How many ED visits are low acuity and could be better managed in an ambulatory or urgent care setting? How much variation in admission rates for congestive heart failure patients do we see across our provider sites, and what impact would there be of standardizing clinical approaches?
The Population Health Analyst will play a key role on this team, and represents an ideal entry point for those interested in healthcare data analytics, payment reform, and accountable care.
- Develop analyses that help the organization understand and monitor performance, break down key drivers, and identify new opportunities
- Create reports and dashboards that effectively communicate performance to operational and clinical leaders and stakeholders
- Engage with end users (clinical or business leaders) to understand the question being asked and determine the right methodology and assumptions
- Translate complex analysis into simple visualizations that can communicate key takeaways to leaders and stakeholders
- Understand health system data sources and support data architecture team to ensure that data is clean, normalized, and accurate
- Establish credibility and trust in data integrity and accuracy across internal and external stakeholders
- Interface with ACO partners and provider sites to engage on data questions, develop new analyses, and present results
- Collaborate across the health system to ensure that assumptions and methodologies are consistent
- Manage multiple projects and analyses simultaneously while meeting key deadlines and deliverables, and prioritizing time and resources
- Identify and elevate key obstacles for intervention that may jeopardize timelines
Bachelor's degree, preference for concentration in economics, math, physics, or computer science
Two to three years of data analytics experience working with large data sets to answer important clinical, operational, or business questions; prior consulting or professional services experience preferred.
Ability to conduct advanced analytics using SAS and/or SQL; fluent in Excel
The Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a top performing analyst to help us find answers to difficult question across large and complex data sets.
The ideal candidate will be:
Technically proficient: Capable of manipulating large data sets, cleaning and normalizing data, generating analysis and working through challenges independently
Strong analytic thinking: Effective at identifying the critical question, capable of navigating the trade-off's between accuracy / comprehensiveness / complexity vs. speed and simplicity, able to make independent decisions on how to adjust assumptions and analyses, can distill complex analysis into simple charts to communicate key takeaways
Curious and creative: Capable of finding the right analytic approach, always asking questions and testing the data and analysis to ensure that we are answering the right key questions
Outcomes-focused: Ability to manage multiple high priority projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet key projects
Passionate about our mission: Highest level of integrity and respect for colleagues and for our mission to provide Exceptional Care Without Exception to our patients and members
Req ID: 13830Apply Back to Top