Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It´s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all—and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet – an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Associate Social Worker Boston Medical Center 24 Hours Days
The Associate Social Worker is responsible for providing outreach and care management of identified high risk patients including identifying and ensuring access to resources and services. The Associate Social Worker develops plans for and with patients based on identified needs, facilitating access to social service benefits and other internal and external resources, providing resources and assistance to patients with complex medical and social problems. . Duties also include, but are not limited to, assisting with placements of psychiatric patients and referring patients to medical respite. Other duties include assisting families of patients with guardianship applications and providing education and advocacy. The position consults with, collaborates and communicates with a wide range of social, governmental and legal agencies, courts, schools, clinics, other hospitals, members of the medical teams. Responsible for documentation in the electronic medical record and complying with all data entry and data tracking requirements for BMC.
- Requires minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school of Social Work (BSW) with experience identifying resources, providing advocacy, and making referrals. Master’s degree preferred.
- Requires a Massachusetts license as a Social Worker (or must obtain MA license within 90 days of hire).
- Previous experience in hospital or healthcare setting preferred.
- Previous experience in psychiatric inpatient setting or group home preferred.
- Knowledge of mental health disorders and related treatment resources preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities: (these are a general summary and not all inclusive)
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary teams on behalf of patients and families.
- Provides brief interventions and assists with discharge plans with patients as needed.
- Empathetic understanding of patients with complex social and medical needs and skilled in developing concrete service plans
- Expertise in establishing working relationships with patients, their families, professionals, and the community, including the ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary health care team
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, inclusive of organizational skills, critical thinking, and problem solving abilities
- Cultural sensitivity and comfort with a wide range of racial and ethnic populations. Bicultural/Bilingual competency a plus.
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to facilitate interactions with various members of the health care team, patients, and their families
- Computer literacy with ability to use standard word processing, data entry, and spreadsheet programs and e-mail (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Outlook) and web browsers.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.